Home Forums General Discussion wish I hadn’t said that…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    uppa

Hearing you speak yesterday gave me even more reason to appreciate your work, that is more than I instinctively always have. The question I asked concerning how you manage to write so well in the voice of a woman did not come out just right and then of course I confused Defoe with Fielding, for which I’ve been beating myself up since! 🙂 My excuses: I’m dreadful with names, it’s been a long time since I read either writer and I don’t teach literature; besides, I was feeling like a school-girl, I wanted to say something clever and I ended up doing the opposite. This doesn’t erase the fact that I think you are more successful at using different narrative voices than other writers. I ordered your new book yesterday and I’m looking forward to the few days it’ll take me to read it… Thanks again for the fun and the insight you bring with your work.

jonathan
    Keymaster

Uppa, no need to apologise! I appreciated your question very much and I hope I didn’t sound too much like a university lecturer when I corrected you on the Defoe/Fielding thing. I should really have said more, that morning, on the subject of Fielding and women – take a look at the Fielding thread Paolo has started, I’ve added some comments there.

Anyway, I’m very glad you came to hear me speak in Chiasso, and your question really delighted me. Keep posting …

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.