Home Forums General Discussion Ivy and her Nonsense

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    paolo

Since I saw that the full text of Ivy and her Nonsense is available on this website, I wanted to let you know that an italian translation of this (very beautiful) short story is printed in a small academic journal: "La società degli individui" (3/2008, pp. 159-172).
    For those who also read "The rain before it falls", Jonathan’s sense of the magic of ordinary life and of the fleetingness of its meaning(s) would be an interesting topic of discussion. Don’t you think so?

uppa

For what it’s worth, I agree! 🙂

jonathan
    Keymaster

Thank you, Paolo. I had actually forgotten about the publication of this Italian translation. Maybe I should think about including it in future editions of The Rain Before It Falls.

paolo

That was my opinion, too. But the editors at Feltrinelli didn’t buy it. They don’t know your books as much as I know them…

😉

uppa

I was unaware of this short story before Paolo mentioned it so I printed it and read it last night; I think it would be a real bonus for future buyers of the Rain Before It Falls if it’s published with it. When I finish one of your books I always get a feeling of loss at having to say goodbye to the characters. Having an extra story to read would make the transition smoother!
    Claudia (-> my real name)

paolo

And the refraction play is superb (there is a wonderful jig-saw-puzzle interlocking of details).

Further advice: if you don’t know it, read also the short story about the elusive Sherlock Holmes movie ("Diary of an Obsession"). Jonathan’s ability to connect with his own past in a touching, yet not mawkish way is astonishing. And his loving memory of his grandfather is really moving.

Best

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.